Followers

Wednesday 1 July 2009

Quaint Old Tradition

..... just thought I'd show you a photograph of where I went to last Saturday afternoon with my good friend Sue. The Bournville Maypole Festival has been running for over 100 years and always takes place on the last Saturday in June (never quite understood that when it's called a MAYpole!!). It's held at the recreation ground within the grounds of the Cadbury's factory (only about 4 miles from my house - yum!! Can you wonder why I'm fat!!). It's always such a lovely day, especially if the weather stays nice, which it did most of the time - all the little girls in their pretty white dresses (except for the one little boy!!) dancing around the maypole. My aunt, who is now 75 years old, danced in the maypole when she was just a little tiddler!

There are also side stalls, craft stalls, a bit of a fun fair, exhibitions from youth military bands etc. and then the evening is rounded off with a firework display.

There wasn't any sewing crafts, but I did buy this:


which opens out into this

....... really lovely isn't it?

Apart from the fact that it's really nice, I bought it because I discovered that it was being sold by Trish, who is the sister of an old school friend and us crafters have to support one another don't we. The prices she charges are ridiculously low, but we all know what it's like trying to sell our crafts to anyone who hasn't a clue how long we labour over them - still, I think she made a reasonable amount on the day.
Anyway, I don't like to complain, but we are melting over here at the moment in the UK - we're never happy are we? We moan about all the rain and cold, but can't cope with the heat when we DO eventually get a bit of sunshine ...... or a lot actually - it's hitting 30 degrees in some parts and that's hot for over here - I know, we're just a bunch of wimps!!
Bye for now!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Wow Julia, what incredible heat. We are having -2degC overnight and about 7deg during the day. Very bitter. Good thing I am not having to go anywhere, I think I chose a great time of year to be off work!!
Fancy living so close to the Cadbury factory, you lucky thing-do they have a factory shop you can visit???
Our Cadbury shop is in Dunedin, 5 hours to get there (thank god).
Love the box you got, there is such a lot of work in those boxes.

The sewing room said...

Looks like you had a great day out it all looks so pretty with the little girls in their white dresses l love the fact that tradition is being kept up. I hope you have a nice weekend keep cool hugs Pat